Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA and HKEX: 9988, “Alibaba” or “Alibaba Group”) today announced its financial results for the quarter ended December 31, 2019.
Alibaba Group experienced robust growth across our business this past quarter,” said Daniel Zhang, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group.
“Our digital economy reached new heights with another record 11.11 Global Shopping Festival for our merchants and partners. Continued investment in user engagement, especially through social commerce content, contributed to our strong gains in annual active consumers. As a result of its rapid growth, our cloud computing services for the first time generated revenue of over RMB10 billion in a single quarter. In response to the coronavirus, we mobilized Alibaba ecosystem’s powerful forces of commerce and technology to fully support the fight against the outbreak, ensure supply of daily necessities for our communities and introduced practical relief measures for our merchants. No matter past, present or future, we remain true to our mission and we will support our merchants to overcome this challenging time together.”
“We had a successful listing on the main board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in November and delivered strong results for the quarter, with top-line revenue growth of 38% year-over-year and adjusted EBITDA growth of 37% year-over-year,” said Maggie Wu, Chief Financial Officer of Alibaba Group. “Looking forward, we will remain dedicated to investing in digital infrastructure and services, supporting our customers and partners across the Alibaba Digital Economy, especially during the challenging time.”
In the quarter ended December 31, 2019:
· Revenue was RMB161,456 million (US$23,192 million), an increase of 38% year-over-year.
· Annual active consumers on our China retail marketplaces reached 711 million, an increase of 18 million from the 12-month period ended September 30, 2019.
· Mobile MAUs on our China retail marketplaces reached 824 million in December 2019, an increase of 39 million over September 2019.
· Income from operations was RMB39,560 million (US$5,682 million), an increase of 48% year-over-year. Adjusted EBITDA, a non-GAAP measurement, increased 37% year-over-year to RMB55,880 million (US$8,027 million).
· Adjusted EBITA for core commerce was RMB58,075 million (US$8,342 million), an increase of 26% year-over-year. Our marketplace-based core commerce adjusted EBITA, a non-GAAP measurement, increased 22% year-over-year to RMB66,371 million (US$9,534 million).
· Net income attributable to ordinary shareholders was RMB52,309 million (US$7,514 million), and net income was RMB50,132 million (US$7,201 million). Non-GAAP net income was RMB46,493 million (US$6,678 million), an increase of 56% year-over-year.
· Diluted earnings per ADS was RMB19.55 (US$2.81) and non-GAAP diluted earnings per ADS was RMB18.19 (US$2.61), an increase of 49% year-over-year. Diluted earnings per share was RMB2.44 (US$0.35) and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was RMB2.27 (US$0.33), an increase of 49% year-over-year.
· Net cash provided by operating activities was RMB96,505 million (US$13,862 million) and non-GAAP free cash flow was RMB78,279 million (US$11,244 million).