Groupon one of the largest local ecommerce marketplaces of beauty salons and spas in the United States celebrated the official start of summer by asking 2,000 Americans about how much money they regularly spend on their appearance and uncovered some interesting trends.
The women surveyed who said they routinely spend money on their appearance spend an average of $3,756 a year (or $313 a month), which adds up to $225,360 throughout their entire lifetime (ages 18-78).
Male respondents who said that they do the same spend an average of $2,928 per year (or $244 a month), totaling $175,680 or about one-fourth less than women throughout their lifetime.
The survey conducted in recognition of Groupon’s summer Pop Up Party beauty collection––running through June 23––also revealed that more than one-fourth of all appearance-related spending is on the face ($51,120), which is more than any other body part or area.
“Summer is the most popular season to take full advantage of all of the quality and affordable beauty treatments and services available to help you look and feel your best,” said Silvija Martincevic, vice president and general manager of health, beauty and wellness at Groupon.
“Whether it’s a trip to the beach, a wedding or a family vacation, Groupon makes it easy for you to get the most out of your warm weather adventures––and to look great in selfies.”
The survey, conducted by market researchers OnePoll and commissioned by Groupon, found that women spend almost twice as much on their face on average than men ($91 vs. $51 per month)
A gap which is largely driven by makeup purchases. Interestingly, the survey results indicated that people in their 30s on average spend more on facial moisturizer and anti-aging products than people in their 40s, 50s or 60s. And despite their youthfulness, people in their 20s spend more on average on makeup than any other age group.
Participants spend $58 per month on haircuts, products and shaving supplies, with women spending more overall on average than men.
Fitness fanatics spend nearly $106 per month on gym memberships, classes, supplements and apps, with men spending more overall on average than women.
Respondents also indicated that they become more content with their appearance as they get older.
When asked if they wanted more money to spend on their appearance if given the chance, half of those in their 60s said they would turn down the opportunity compared with only a quarter of those in their 20s.
“These lifetime figures show an incredible amount is put towards improving and maintaining our appearances,” Martincevic added.
“No matter your age or gender, we’re all concerned with looking and feeling great and finding ways to do that without breaking the bank can make all the difference.”
Through its Pop Up Party collection, Groupon is offering a number of ways for people to save money and look their best this summer by visiting the following well-known places:
- The Spa at PGA National Resort (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.)
- King Spa (New York, Dallas)
- Relache Spa at Gaylord Palms (Orlando)
- Imperial Health Spa (Los Angeles, Las Vegas)
- Four Seasons Hotel Spa (Chicago, Toronto)
- Paul Mitchell The School (approximately 50 locations across the United States)
- Prema Health (Calgary)
- Hand and Stone (Atlanta, Charleston, S.C., Cincinnati, Long Island, N.Y., Minneapolis, Salt Lake City, Ventura County, Calif.)
- Dry Bar ( Boerum Hill, N.Y., Grapevine, Texas, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Orange County, Calif., Washington D.C., White Plains, N.Y., Williamsburg, N.Y.)
- Chung Dam Spa (Philadelphia)
- Blo Blow Dry Bar (Jacksonville, Fla., New York, Washington D.C.)
- Tan FX Tanning Studio & Boutique (Dartmouth,Fort McMurray, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Regina,Winnipeg)
- Bell Tower Salon and Spa (Wyomissing)
- Hiatus Spa + Retreat (Austin, Texas)
Pop Up Party also offers extra savings throughout all three days:
- Wednesday, June 21 – Receive up to 80 percent off* all health, beauty and wellness deals in the collection
- Thursday, June 22 – ‘Buy more, save more’ by entering the code PARTY**, including $10 off $40, $20 off $75, $30 off $100 and $50 off $150
- Friday, June 23 – Receive an extra 20 percent off all health, beauty and wellness deals using the promo code POP20***
To view the entire Pop Up Party collection, please visit https://www.groupon.com/occasion/pop-up-beauty.
“Groupon” is a registered trademark of Groupon, Inc. All other names used may be trademarks owned by their respective holders.